12 Feb If you’re concerned with any observeable symptoms after using the crisis contraceptive capsule, speak to your GP or talk with a nursing assistant at a intimate wellness clinic.
You should speak with a health care provider or nursing assistant if:
- You might think you may be expecting
- Your following period is much more than 7 days late
- Your duration is reduced or lighter than typical
- You have got any unexpected or uncommon discomfort in your reduced abdomen (this may be a indication of a ectopic maternity, the place where a fertilised egg implants outs
The crisis contraceptive capsule may communicate with other medications. These generally include:
- The natural medication St John’s Wort
- Some medications utilized to deal with epilepsy
- Some medications used to deal with HIV
- Some medications utilized to treat tuberculosis (TB)
- Medicine such as for instance omeprazole (an antacid) to create your belly less acid
EllaOne can’t be utilized as it may not be effective if you are already taking one of these medicines.
Levonelle may nevertheless be utilized, however the dose could need to be increased – your pharmacist or doctor can advise on this.
There ought to be no discussion between your crisis pill & most antibiotics. Two antibiotics that are enzyme-inducingcalled rifampicin and rifabutin), utilized to deal with or avoid meningitis or TB, may affect ellaOne while they’re being taken as well as for 28 times a short while later.
If you’d like to be sure your medications are safe to just just just take aided by the crisis contraceptive tablet, pose a question to your GP or perhaps a pharmacist. It’s also advisable to see the client information leaflet that is included with your medications.
Can the emergency is got by me contraceptive supplement ahead of time?
You may well be in a position to get the crisis contraceptive tablet in advance of having unsafe sex if:
- You might be concerned about your method that is contraceptive failing
- You might be happening vacation
- You simply cannot get your hands on crisis contraception easily
Pose a question to your GP or nursing assistant for more info on getting advance emergency contraception.
The IUD as crisis contraception
The intrauterine device (IUD) is a tiny, T-shaped contraceptive device created from plastic and copper. It’s inserted in to the womb by an experienced health professional. It might avoid an egg from implanting in your womb or being fertilised.
You could have ovulated, to prevent pregnancy if you’ve had unprotected sex, the IUD can be inserted up to five days afterwards, or up to five days after the earliest time. It’s more efficient at preventing maternity compared to the crisis capsule, plus it will not communicate with just about any medicine.
You may elect to have the IUD left in as a method that is ongoing of.
Exactly just just How effective could be the IUD at preventing maternity?
There are lots of forms of IUD. Newer ones do have more copper and are also significantly more than 99% effective. Less than two feamales in 100 whom utilize a more recent IUD over 5 years can get pregnant. IUDs with less copper inside them are less efficient than this, but are still effective. The IUD works better compared to the crisis capsule at preventing maternity after unsafe sex.
Who is able to make use of the IUD?
Nearly all women may use an IUD, including ladies who haven’t been expecting and people that are HIV good. Your GP or clinician will enquire about your history that is medical to if an IUD would work for your needs.
You must not make use of an IUD when you have:
- An untreated STI or even an infection that is pelvic
- Specific abnormalities of this womb or cervix
- Any unexplained bleeding from your vagina – for example, between durations or after intercourse
Women who have a heart condition should consult their GP or cardiologist before having an IUD installed.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
The IUD really should not be inserted when there is a danger which you may currently be expecting. The IUD can be properly used safely if you’re breastfeeding, however the danger of problems during insertion is somewhat higher.
Do you know the relative negative effects regarding the IUD
Problems after having an IUD fitted are uncommon, but could consist of discomfort, infection, problems for the expulsion or womb(the IUD coming from the womb). It may make your periods longer, heavier or more painful if you use the IUD as an ongoing method of regular contraception.
The IUD as well as other medications
The emergency IUD will not react with other medicine.
Where may I get emergency contraception?
The emergency can be got by you contraceptive capsule and also the IUD for clear of:
- A GP surgery providing you with contraception (some GP surgeries may well not supply the IUD)
- A contraception center
- A intimate wellness center
- Some medicine that is genitourinaryGUM) clinics
- Some teenagers’s clinics (phone our sexual helpline on 0800 22 44 88)
You can obtain the emergency contraceptive supplement clear of:
- Many pharmacies
- Some small accidents devices
- Some Accident & crisis divisions
A doctor or nursing assistant the thing is may ask when it comes to after information:
- When you yourself have had non-safe sex in your cycle that is menstrual
- The date for the very first time of one’s final duration as well as the typical amount of your period
- Information on any korean mail order birdes failure that is contraceptivesuch as for example exactly how many pills you have missed, when)
- If you have utilized any medicines which will influence your contraception
If you should be aged 13 or higher, you may get contraception through the majority of community pharmacies in Scotland, frequently totally free. You can buy the emergency contraceptive pill from most pharmacies if you are not eligible for NHS Scotland services. The fee differs, nonetheless it will be around ?30 to ?35.
Contraception for future years
If you should be perhaps not making use of a method that is regular of, you may give consideration to performing this in order to reduce the possibility of unintended maternity. Long-acting reversible contraception (LARC) supplies the best security against maternity, and you also need not think you have sex about it every day or each time.
LARC methods are the:
Where can we get it?
This will depend which kind of crisis contraception you utilize. There’s two techniques:
- The crisis contraceptive capsule (after pill) – there are two types, Levonelle or ellaOne morning
- The intrauterine device (IUD, or coil)
Crisis contraception prevents pregnancy if:
- You have not utilized contraception
- Your method that is usual of has unsuccessful
Crisis contraception shouldn’t be utilized in place of your typical approach to contraception.
The earlier you employ crisis contraception after having sex that is unprotected the greater effective it really is. To get more information, observe how effective is crisis contraception?
The crisis contraceptive product
Levonelle is present totally free with out a prescription. You may get it from many pharmacies and in addition from your own GP or intimate wellness hospital. Utilize our nationwide provider Directory to get nearest pharmacy, GP surgery or intimate wellness center.
Levonelle and ellaOne are both available totally free. You may get them from most community pharmacies and in addition from your own GP or sexual wellness hospital.
Levonelle may be taken within 72 hours (three times) of getting unsafe sex, but it is most reliable if taken within 12 hours of experiencing non-safe sex.
You are taking one Levonelle tablet. It really works by stopping or ovulation that is delayingwhenever your ovaries release an egg).
EllaOne may be taken within 120 hours (five days) of getting unsafe sex, but it is most reliable if taken at the earliest opportunity after having sex that is unprotected.
You take one ellaOne tablet. It prevents or delays ovulation and causes it to be more challenging for a egg that is fertilised implant to your womb.
The IUD (intrauterine device) can be obtained from:
- Contraception clinics
- Brook centers
- Many intimate health clinics (GUM clinics)
- Many GP surgeries
The IUD is put as part of your womb. It damages both the semen in addition to egg, and stops a fertilised egg implanting in your womb.
It should be fitted by a medical practioner within five times of having non-safe sex, or, whether it’s possible to calculate once you ovulate, as much as five times when you ovulate. The IUD is considered the most type that is effective of contraception.
You can easily keep the IUD in as your regular approach to contraception, or a medical practioner can eliminate it through your next duration.
Crisis contraception might never be ideal for everybody else. Discover more about crisis contraception.
If you are ill
If you are unwell (vomit) within three hours of using Levonelle or ellaOne, get hold of your GP. You may have to take another capsule.
Just just exactly How effective will it be?
It depends which kind of emergency contraception you employ and just how quickly you employ it.
There are two main ways of crisis contraception:
- The crisis contraceptive pill – or morning-after product – referred to as Levonelle or ellaOne
- The copper IUD (intrauterine unit, or coil)
Crisis contraception prevents maternity for those who haven’t used contraception or think your typical way of contraception has failed.