12 Feb If you are concerned with any observeable symptoms after using the emergency contraceptive capsule, contact your GP or talk with a nursing assistant at a intimate health clinic.
You should talk to a nurse or doctor if:
- You would imagine you could be expecting
- Your following period is more than 7 days later
- Your duration is shorter or lighter than typical
- You have any unexpected or pain that is unusual your reduced abdomen (this might be an indication of an ectopic maternity, where a fertilised egg implants outs
The crisis contraceptive tablet may connect to other medications. Included in these are:
- The medicine that is herbal John’s Wort
- Some medications utilized to treat epilepsy
- Some medications utilized to deal with HIV
- Some medications utilized to deal with tuberculosis (TB)
- Medicine such as for example omeprazole (an antacid) in order to make your belly less acid
EllaOne can not be utilized if you’re currently using one of these simple medications, as it might never be effective.
Levonelle may nevertheless be utilized, nevertheless the dose might need to be increased – your pharmacist or doctor can advise about this.
There ought to be no relationship amongst the crisis pill and a lot of antibiotics. Two antibiotics that are enzyme-inducingcalled rifampicin and rifabutin), utilized to deal with or avoid meningitis or TB, may affect ellaOne while they’re being taken as well as 28 times afterward.
If you’d like to be sure your medications are safe to just just take utilizing the crisis contraceptive tablet, pose a question to your GP or even a pharmacist. Its also wise to see the client information leaflet that is included with your medications.
Can I have the emergency contraceptive capsule ahead of time?
You might be in a position to get the crisis contraceptive capsule prior to having unsafe sex if:
- You might be focused on your method that is contraceptive failing
- You may be happening vacation
- You simply cannot get your hands on crisis contraception effortlessly
Pose a question to your GP or nursing assistant for more info on getting advance crisis contraception.
The IUD as emergency contraception
The device that is intrauterineIUD) is a little, T-shaped contraceptive unit created from synthetic and copper. It’s inserted in to the womb by an experienced wellness professional. It might avoid an egg from implanting in your womb or being fertilised.
In the event that you’ve had non-safe sex, the IUD could be placed as much as five times afterward, or as much as five times following the earliest time you can have ovulated, to avoid maternity. It’s more efficient at preventing maternity compared to crisis product, also it will not connect to virtually any medicine.
You may want to elect to have the IUD left in as a method that is ongoing of.
Just How effective may be the IUD at preventing maternity?
There are numerous kinds of IUD. Newer ones have significantly more copper and therefore are significantly more than 99% effective. Less than two ladies in 100 whom use a more recent IUD over 5 years gets pregnant. IUDs with less copper inside them are less efficient than this, but they are nevertheless effective. The IUD works more effectively compared to the crisis supplement at preventing pregnancy after non-safe sex.
Who are able to make use of the IUD?
The majority of women may use an IUD, including ladies who haven’t been expecting and those that are HIV good. Your GP or clinician will enquire about your health background to check on if an IUD would work for you personally.
You must not make use of an IUD when you have:
- An untreated STI or even an infection that is pelvic
- Specific abnormalities of this womb or cervix
- Any bleeding that is unexplained your vagina – for example, between durations or after intercourse
Women that have heart condition should consult their GP or cardiologist before having an IUD fitted.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
The IUD really should not be placed when there is a danger find foreign bride you may currently be pregnant. The IUD can safely be used if you’re breastfeeding, nevertheless the chance of problems during insertion is slightly greater.
Which are the negative effects for the IUD
Problems after having an IUD fitted are uncommon, but could consist of discomfort, disease, harm to the womb or expulsion (the IUD coming from the womb). It may make your periods longer, heavier or more painful if you use the IUD as an ongoing method of regular contraception.
The IUD as well as other medications
The emergency IUD shall perhaps not respond with some other medicine.
Where can I get crisis contraception?
You may get the crisis contraceptive capsule additionally the IUD for clear of:
- A GP surgery that delivers contraception (some GP surgeries might not supply the IUD)
- A contraception center
- A intimate wellness clinic
- Some medicine that is genitourinaryGUM) clinics
- Some teenagers’s clinics (call our helpline that is sexual on 22 44 88)
You’ll be able to obtain the crisis contraceptive supplement free of:
- Many pharmacies
- Some minor accidents devices
- Some Accident & Emergency divisions
The physician or nurse the thing is may ask when it comes to information that is following
- When you yourself have had non-safe sex in your overall cycle that is menstrual
- The date for the first time of one’s last duration in addition to typical duration of your period
- Information on any failure that is contraceptivesuch as for example exactly how many pills you could have missed, as soon as)
- If you have utilized any medicines which could influence your contraception
If you are aged 13 or higher, you may get contraception through the greater part of community pharmacies in Scotland, often totally free. If you’re maybe not entitled to NHS Scotland solutions, you should buy the crisis contraceptive tablet from most pharmacies. The fee differs, however it shall be around ?30 to ?35.
Contraception for future years
If you are staying away from a method that is regular of, you may start thinking about doing this so that you can reduce the possibility of unintended maternity. Long-acting reversible contraception (LARC) provides the most efficient security against maternity, and you also don’t need to think you have sex about it every day or each time.
LARC methods are the:
Where can it is got by me?
This will depend what kind of crisis contraception you utilize. There are two techniques:
- The crisis contraceptive supplement (early morning after pill) – there are two main kinds, Levonelle or ellaOne
- The intrauterine device (IUD, or coil)
Crisis contraception prevents maternity if:
- You have not used contraception
- Your typical approach to contraception has unsuccessful
Crisis contraception shouldn’t be utilized in the place of your usual approach to contraception.
The earlier you utilize crisis contraception after having non-safe sex, the greater effective it really is. To get more information, observe how effective is crisis contraception?
The crisis contraceptive supplement
Levonelle can be acquired totally free with no prescription. You could get it from many pharmacies as well as from your own GP or health clinic that is sexual. Utilize our nationwide provider Directory to get pharmacy that is nearest, GP surgery or intimate wellness center.
Levonelle and ellaOne are both available totally free. You will get them from most community pharmacies as well as from your own GP or intimate wellness center.
Levonelle may be taken within 72 hours (three times) of experiencing non-safe sex, but it is most reliable if taken within 12 hours of experiencing non-safe sex.
You are taking one Levonelle tablet. It really works by stopping or delaying ovulation (whenever your ovaries launch an egg).
EllaOne may be taken within 120 hours (five times) of experiencing non-safe sex, but it is most reliable if taken at the earliest opportunity after having sex that is unprotected.
You take one ellaOne tablet. It prevents or delays ovulation and helps it be more challenging for a fertilised egg to implant to your womb.
The IUD (intrauterine device) can be acquired from:
- Contraception clinics
- Brook centers
- Many intimate wellness clinics (GUM clinics)
- Many GP surgeries
The IUD is positioned within your womb. It damages both the semen additionally the egg, and prevents an egg that is fertilised in your womb.
It should be fitted by a medical practioner within five times of having non-safe sex, or, if it is feasible to estimate once you ovulate, as much as five times once you ovulate. The IUD is considered the most effective style of crisis contraception.
It is possible to keep consitently the IUD in as your method that is regular of, or a medical practioner can eliminate it throughout your next duration.
Crisis contraception might never be ideal for everybody. Learn more about crisis contraception.
If you should be ill
If you are ill (vomit) within three hours of using Levonelle or ellaOne, confer with your GP. You might have to take another tablet.
Exactly exactly How effective can it be?
It depends which kind of emergency contraception you utilize and exactly how quickly you employ it.
There are 2 ways of crisis contraception:
- The emergency contraceptive pill – or morning-after tablet – known as Levonelle or ellaOne
- The copper IUD (intrauterine unit, or coil)
Crisis contraception prevents maternity when you yourself haven’t utilized contraception or think your method that is usual of has unsuccessful.